Born in Glanmire, Co. Cork, and raised in Castletownroche, Sylvia Cooke-Collis studied at the Crawford Municipal School of Art in Cork, going on to work with Mainie Jellett in Dublin, and subsequently recounting her memories in ‘A Tribute to Evie Hone and Mainie Jellett’, published in 1957. They became friends, at times painting together. Cooke-Collis began exhibiting in 1936 with the Watercolour Society of Ireland, ultimately showing sixty works over the following twenty years. She also exhibited with the more avant-garde artists of the Dublin Painters Society and held a solo exhibition at their gallery in November 1944. Further solo shows ensued at the Grafton Gallery, Dublin in the late 40’s and early 50’s. Her work is included in the collections of the Crawford Gallery and the Ulster Museum.